Friday, December 24, 2010

A bit of indulgence for Christmas Eve

The Enid Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1979

I came across The Enid back in 1978 as a result of listening to a Radio 3 alternative music programme (I can't remember the name of the programme now - any offers?) and was intrigued by the mixture of symphonic rock, fairground organ and Elgar(!). So I acquired 'Touch Me' and got around to re-listening to it yesterday. A bye-gone era - though they seem to be still touring indefatigably - the youtube extract is live - enjoy it. I've never been to one of their concerts but one of the PhD students when I was at Manchester Computing dept in the 1980's assisted with getting their stuff on the road (AFAICR, Richard something..) and he was amazed that he'd found someone else who had heard of them!
And for another sort of seasonal indulgence here is Messaien's 'Dieu parmi Nous' played on an accordion(!) - brilliantly - well worth the watch - I've tweeted and facebooked it - having been pointed to it by Patrick Herring so I'm not going to make a separate post of it!

No comments: