Sunday, February 01, 2009

Clarity from Poster

Went to the Macclesfield Music Society last night to hear Tom Poster in an interesting combination of works:
  • Mozart Sonata Eb major K 282
  • Chopin B minor Sonata
  • Brahms Klavierstücke Op 118
  • Stravinsky Three Movements from Petrouchka
  • encores were the Schubert Gb Impromptu and Gershwin 'Someone to Watch over me'
The interval was after the Chopin but it was a concert that could have done with two short intervals, as I'm not sure that going straight from the wonders of the Brahms Op 118 No 6 to Stravinsky's Yule Tide Fair without even leaving the platform really worked! A great evening of communication - we got the Chopin B minor last year from Andrew Brownell. I think I preferred last night intense clarity and control, and the detail he put into the Stravinsky... (Holmes Chapel had a chance to hear that work last week from another pianist!). I don't think I'd heard the Mozart before - as Poster said, unjustly neglected!

No comments: