Sunday, February 10, 2008

Andrew Brownell

(I gather from googling that this may result in World of Warcraft hits...) Last night to the Macclesfield Music Society recital by Andrew Brownell

He played an initial interesting sequence of night themed pieces
  • Schumann "Des Abends" from Fantasiestucke, Op. 12
  • Chopin Nocturne in E flat, Op. 55 No. 2
  • Debussy "La terrasse des audiences du clair de lune" from Preludes Book 2
  • Hindemith Nachtstuck from Suite "1922"
  • Britten Notturno
I did enjoy these - rapt quietness - he said he'd built the sequences as a means of programming the Britten - though I thought the central 3 items were the best.
We then continued in the open air with the Beethoven Sonata in D Op. 28 (Pastoral) lovely even playing for one of the not so dramatic sonatas. In the second half we had the Schumann Three Romances, Op. 28 which I wasn't familiar with and then the Chopin 3rd Sonata which I've loved ever since I first heard it back in the 60's the wonderful passagework we already heard in the Beethoven came to an exciting climax with the final movement.
Well worth hearing him...

No comments: