Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Defying International law

A letter I've sent to our MP (David Rutley) on the subject of the UK government proposing to discard bits of the Brexit withdrawal agreement Johnson/Cummings are not keen on:
I'm writing to you to express my dismay that the government is proposing to break international law in 'a very specific and limited way' - whatever that means! - over the Brexit agreement.

If I were to break the law even in a very specific and limited way, I'd expect to find myself in trouble with the police. I realise that our prime minister has trouble with honesty and integrity (and especially via his unaccountable and unsackable 'advisor' Dominic Cummings) but I would hope that you have higher standards and will argue against this breaking of the law and if it is brought to the commons will vote against it.

If we do this - despite Johnson claiming his deal was 'oven ready' and all conservative candidates signing up to it at the 2019 election - to discard the inconvenient bits sends a message to our international partners that it is not worth agreeing trade treaties with us which can be thrown away on a ministerial whim. You are also all breaking your word to the electorate as well as ignoring the very recent manifesto.

If we do this how can we possibly criticise the government of China for not sticking to the Hong Kong agreement?

a paragraph of more personal information elided!

feel free to borrow bits of this!

No comments: