Tuesday, August 21, 2018

CADES

I don't think I'd seen this wikipedia page on CADES before. I'd nearly forgotten the project name - I worked on this back in the early days of it in 1971 as a pre-university trainee and then in the summer vacs. I'd started off at ICL helping with simulation programs written in Beta/S1 - S1 was the forerunner of S3, I don't think there was an S2? Ostech was a small department of around 16 so working there was a great experience! In the summer vacs once we were back in Kidsgrove (we'd moved at one stage to Coptall house in Newcastle) I looked after the submission of jobs by developers into the CADES database. I see the wikipedia page labels it as a version control system and a means of validating the design
The CADES design approach, called Structural Modelling, was rigidly data-driven and hierarchical, and expressed in a formal design language, SDL. Design specifications written in SDL were processed by the Design Analyser, before being input to the CADES Product Database
. I think I once had the Computer Weekly articles referenced in that article but I suspect they've long since been lost.
Whilst there I also had an early computer keyboard/monitor on my desk, I've searched for pictures but so far failed, it had 3(?) big white push transmit buttons beneath the screen as well as a conventional keyboard. There were also the delights of using an acoustic modem and hand card punches! One of these!

No comments: