Saturday, January 29, 2011

Der Frühling will kommen

This is no doubt deeply contrary, but here is Elly Ameling singing Schubert's "Der Hirt auf dem Felsen" (the Shepherd on the Rock)

Contrary, because on hearing of Margaret Price's death today I was looking around for her performance I was looking for a performance of this work. I've not heard it for many years, I used to have a tape of a performance by Price (I'm pretty sure) of this work as part of a 1970's concert from London consisting of Schubert and Webern (both minaturists) and ending with this gloriously sad work. Make sure you listen to part 2 - a vocal and clarinet cadenza. The words and English translation are on the youTube page.
I don't like the switches in scale of the score for when Ameling is singing, two bars at a time is far too little!

No comments: