Friday, January 23, 2009

Invisible but amongst us

On Wednesday, a trip to Silk Screen to see Nick Broomfield's Ghosts, a tale of the events leading up to the death of 23 Chinese in the sands of Morecambe Bay. A fascinating, depressing study with many insights, I was interested in the various power hierarchies that were working there - even among the victims.
Here's the trailer:

Looks like the website of the fund for the victims http://www.ghosts.uk.com/ - as they received no help from the British Government - is down. I found it an interesting conjunction as the night before on the BBC news there'd been the story of a British lorry driver, Chris Mason, deported from Canada after being injured - we were told that the British government was much better - clearly not always.
I'd recommend the film, a great performance from Ai Qin Lin (a non-actor!!). a review is here as well as more on the issues. I was born on the Lancashire coast - so the film rang many bells and the exposure of modern day slavery just below the surface of our so civilised society will haunt you!
I've just been reminded by opinionated old fart of Langston Hughes I, too, sing America- his context is Obama - where it is very powerful, but there are echoes here too!
I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed–

I, too, am America.
wonderfully set by Bernstein in Songfest.

No comments: