Monday, August 25, 2008

Where were you?

Via Niles and Iain Dale comes this meme for remembering where you were at the time of certain events (or bragging about your age)
  • Princess Diana’s death - 31 August 1997 - I had no idea about this until the clock radio came on just before 7 - with I think radio 4 rather than radio 3, I was trying to change it back and not succeeding and it was a little time before the penny dropped. That Sunday morning we had a church coach trip to Llandudno what with those events we forgot that the service had been moved to before the coach departed and just turned up with our packed lunches. I'd have liked to have been present for the service. Spent the day wandering around Llandudno in a bit of a limbo. UK Gold were due to show the Dr Who Armageddon factor which I was intending to tape (as we were out) and they cancelled it to our chagrin.
  • Margaret Thatcher’s resignation - 22 November 1990 I heard about this by email! I was working at the Computer Science dept in Manchester and an email was sent around to everyone. The person I shared an office with was foreign and shocked at the news in contract to this local's gladness that it was over. I remember posting to uk.politics later that morning making the link between the events and the US's Thanksgiving day.
  • Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001 - at work in Knutsford. I was told by a colleague in the adjacent office, work tended to stop while we picked up what bits of the news were on the internet and a radio was put in the corridor between the offices. Our company's base was in New York state and a colleague was meant to be giving a talk close to the WTC that day.
  • England’s World Cup Semi Final v Germany in - 4 July 1990 Sorry, pardon?
  • President Kennedy’s Assassination - 22 November 1963 I remember coming downstairs to watch television and being told -or did I see the newsflash? - and being in disbelief

No comments: