Friday, April 11, 2008

I hope there's some real evidence

From today's Guardian
Three British Muslims took part in a "hostile" reconnaissance mission of potential targets in London with two men who went on to bomb the city's transport system on July 7, a court was told yesterday. The trip, in December 2004, was "part of a sinister plot to cause explosions", according to the prosecution. It was an "essential preparatory step ... to bring death and destruction to the heart of the United Kingdom".
During the mission - seven months before the bombs that killed 52 people - the men visited a number of locations, including the London Eye, the Natural History Museum and the London Aquarium.

Neil Flewitt, QC, told a jury at Kingston crown court in south-west London that it was not his case that the defendants were directly involved in the London bombings...

It is the prosecution case that the defendants associated with and shared the beliefs of the London bombers and so were willing to assist them in one particular and important aspect of their preparation for the London bombings."

So if I have a relation who has been found guilty of downloading and sharing indecent images of children and I am found to have used a computer in his presence, I can be up in court with assisting his schemes by assisting in showing him how to use the mouse?! I just hope there's some real significant evidence to come in this case!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would have thought that Ali's presence in the Mohammed Siddique Khan video (http://rachelnorthlondon.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-have-to-do-this-thing-for-our-future.html) was pretty strong evidence that he's not simply an innocent bystander...

Anonymous said...

...on re-reading the Guardian report, I see that Ali was not, in fact, in the "Kahn saying goodbye to his daughter" video, but in another one. So the chain of evidence is not as clearcut as I first assumed. Nonetheless, I expect that the Prosecution is laying out the links, and the connections will be forged over the coming weeks. Rachel seems to be of the same mind.

rajm said...

I hope that there is - I suppose summaries are always sketchy!