Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - 6 Oct



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
I lie listening to the rain needling the windows, or soft shuffling on the rooftops and flat-roofed extensions that deform the rear of these houses, until I can't put it off any longer. Turning slightly to look over my shoulder, I find the wrong hair on the wrong-shaped head lying behind me; one gold-stud earring, a gold chain around the neck, a signet ring on the hand hanging over the quilt. I slide out of bed and wish I could die.
Christine Dwyer Hickey's `Last Train from Liguria' a book about connections between modern Ireland and 1930/40's Italy. A book I've been wanting to read and spotted it in the local library at the weekend, so far it's definitely been worth lugging the heavy volume on the train each day. From the above linked review:
In 1933, Bella Stuart, the introspective daughter of a London surgeon, sets out for the country where Mr Mussolini is busy making the trains run on time. The plan is for her to be tutor to the son of the aristocratic Lami family - "there's a villa in Sicily and a summer house on the Italian riviera", and there is "some German connection, so you'll probably be popping off to Berlin". Fateful words for the whole of Europe, perhaps.

2 comments:

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I love your teaser! I'm not admitting to anything, but who hasn't felt like that at one time or another? LOL I'm glad you're enjoying your book!

Cecelia said...

Wonderful teaser! I think there's one word to sum it up: regret! I'll look for this book...

You can check out my teaser here.