Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - 14 July



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
'Burgundy is a jolly thing,' said the Professor sadly, as he set his glass down.
You don't look as if it were,' said Syme; 'you drink as if it were medicine.'

This month's BATS (book group) book - G K Chesterton's The Man Who was Thursday. I last read this book in the early 1960's(!) when, probably, most of it went over my head, an interesting read (and probably a re-read before the meeting).
Cheated slightly as those are the fist two lines on the page - beginning of a chapter - but if it weren't those lines would be around 7 lines down (if you see what I mean). The cover has Kingsley Amis quoted as 'The most thrilling book I have ever read' - probably not - but worth the re-discovery!

3 comments:

Hilarie said...

I just downloaded this to my mp3 player before I found your teaser! It's fate. Nice teaser, and I love the look of your blog.

jlshall said...

This is a book I've been meaning to read for years. I've started it several times, but never managed to finish it. Maybe this year. And I agree that "Burgundy is a jolly thing"! Nice teaser.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Interesting teaser.