Saturday, April 26, 2008

To see it done at all..

To the Wilmslow Symphony Orchestra to see Shostakovich's Festival Overture (great fun), the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 (soloist Christopher Ellis) - pretty well done, not my favourite PC! Ending with the Stravinsky Rite of Spring - this is an amateur orchestra(!!) and an amateur photographer(!)

I nearly dissolved in giggles when the person next to me said `and the best of British' when the conductor got to the podium. They got through it intact with some wonderful playing. With an amateur ensemble you see and hear a lot more of the internal mechanism - especially with this work rather than an over smooth professional orchestra - and it was fascinating. They even continued through a fire alarm that went off during part I. Great ensemble, I really don't want to mention any particular section, very well done!

4 comments:

PamBG said...

I know someone who was playing in that. :-)

rajm said...

Indeed, and looking at my fuzzy photo you can just see his knees on the extreme left, rest of him didn't quite make it onto the photo :-(

PamBG said...

I can't enlarge the photo. I mentioned the blog entry. He didn't see you, but he said that there was a large audience.

PamBG said...

I take that back. I see a familiar pair of knees!