Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Who are the bullies?

At General Synod last week the Church of England announced that it was going to work with Stonewall to address homophobic bullying in schools. In response there has been a typically mean spirited statement from Angican 'Mainstream'. Changing attitude has delivered a robust riposte. To quote Colin Coward:
Anglican Mainstream says that children's lack of psychological and cognitive maturity makes them vulnerable to ideological and sexual manipulation. The statement implies that Stonewall manipulates children ideologically and sexually – it's a disgraceful statement and deeply homophobic.
Anglican 'Mainstream' is deeply homophobic and some of its supporters indulge in bullying and intimidation of those who disagree with them - excusing their behaviour by claiming that those they attack are 'guilty' of first order offences whereas their 'ends justify the means' approach should be disregarded. They need to look at themselves!

7 comments:

Suem said...

I spoke to some of the AM group at Synod one year. I felt that they were talking a different language to me, it wasn't exactly what I would have called a "conversation" and it was all rather disconcerting.

rajm said...

Yes a strange organisation, ultra defensive!

Suem said...

The in-fighting between CA and AM seems to be getting even worse recently. There can be so much bitterness really. I felt when I spoke to two individuals at Synod that they had me down as beyond the pale, anything-goes, extremist etc. I really would rather see a genuine conversation taking place rather than cyber bickering.

rajm said...

That's hard with the current positions, I'm probably not the right person to get a dispassionate view of AM from.

Suem said...

The last one I spoke to started asking me whether I didn't care about children, he said I didn't value marriage (?) and wanted to destroy it (?) and did I know that more children were vulnerable to abortion and murder outside of marriage etc, etc.
I try to be dispassionate about them and I'm probably not the right person either.

rajm said...

It's very difficult to find neutral parties now!

rajm said...

Ah, I've just seen the ecclesia paper, need to read it!