Sunday, December 14, 2008

A study in claustrophobia

.. and conscience. To the Silk Screen (middle of last week now) to see The Last Days of Sophie Scholl strongly recommended, moving, uplifting tale of resistance to Hitler and Nazism. I never knew that placing leaflets in a hallway could be so full of suspense. The resistors are arrested and the sessions between Sophie and her interrogator were fascinating with no doubt as to who was the stronger party (the one in the totally vulnerable position).
I felt there were echoes of Fidelio hanging around but maybe that's my reaction whever I see something German, mentions of freedom and prisoners entering sunlight?! But no prison visitor appeared like a rabbit from a hat. See it, if you haven't already. It appears to be based on transcripts hidden in East Germany - I'd be fairly disappointed if the interrogations were wholly made up!

No comments: