Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Teaser Tuesday - 10 August



Teaser Tuesday

The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
Looking down from the rail, I noticed the streets near the docks were lined with what seemed to be black perambulators, some kind of mobile coal scuttle, I assumed, used for bunkering ships. Later I learned that these were British cars (all made pre-war), a species I had never seen before.
JG Ballard returns from a childhood in China to post-war Britain, and isn't very keen. From his autobiography Miracles of Life visionary and life-affirming! - if you know his early work and Empire of the Sun (his fictionalised version of the early part of his life there may not be many new insights but Ballard is always worth the read.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great teaser and this book sounds like one I would enjoy. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/08/teaser-tuesdays-in-the-first-circle.html

jlshall said...

"Mobile coal scuttle" - great description. I've never read any of Ballard's novels, although I've enjoyed a lot of his short stories. Always loved his writing. Good teaser!

TT: Think of a Number

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Sounds great. Empire of the Sun is on my TBR shelf. But maybe I should start with this -- I'm pretty keen on post-war Britain books.

My teaser on Rose City Reader is from a really great memoir by a woman in Poland in WWII.

Suem said...

Having just done some book reviews, I won't do a teaser. I am currently reading the tail end of Alone in Berlin, so keep dipping into it inbetween the holiday washing and ironing.