Thursday, August 04, 2016

Teaser Tuesday - Aug 4


Teaser Tuesday
The rules are:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) 'teaser' sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title and author of the book that you’re getting your 'teaser' from .. that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given!
He was a great worker, something unsuspected by those who knew him only in his public role, dressed in his festive robes to conduct the great Games, or receiving delegations from abroad. He was said to be a cool, even icy rationalist, whose relationship to the arts was one of mere distant civility
Hermann Hesse The Glass Bead Game I've been meaning to re-read this for a number of years - I'd lost the copy I used to have - so eventually picked up a copy in a charity shop. I read it last - I think -at University - and I seemed to have moved from one elite to another! I find it a fascinating tale of the tussle between elegant systems and the 'real' world. Not to everyone's taste! Here's an enthousiastic review. Hesse writing pre internet (and before television was popular) of isolated elites and the long slow death of culture.

No comments: