- Day 01 – Your favourite song - Surabaya Johnny by Kurt Weill
- Day 02 – Your least favourite song - Wagner Overture to Rienzi
- Day 03 – A song that makes you happy - Schubert Seligkeit (Schwartzkopf)
- Day 04 – A song that makes you sad - Slow movement of the Poulenc Clarinet Sonata
- Day 05 – A song that reminds you of someone - The Country Dance from Maxwell-Davies 8 Songs for a Mad King
- Day 06 – A song that reminds of you of somewhere - The Bladon Races
- Day 07 – A song that reminds you of a certain event - Beethoven Piano Sonata Op 109 last movement (Brendel)
- Day 08 – A song that you know all the words to - Tom Lehrer The Vatican Rag
- Day 09 – A song that you can dance to - Strip the Willow
- Day 10 – A song that makes you fall asleep - Schubert Impromptu in F minor D935 No 1
- Day 11 – A song from your favourite band - Schubert slow movement from Bb sonata D960
- Day 12 – A song from a band you hate - Andrew Lloyd Webber and a video placing his songs alongside their..err.. inspirations
- Day 13 – A song that is a guilty pleasure - Lefébure-Wély Sortie in Eb (and the Pet Shop Boys and Noel Coward's Sail Away)
- Day 14 – A song that no one would expect you to love - Emperor Waltz (arr Schönberg)
- Day 15 – A song that describes you - let's embed this one
slightly confused/tangled with a great sense of fun
- Day 16 – A song that you used to love but now hate - Franz Liszt - Les Preludes
- Day 17 – A song that you hear often on the radio - oops I missed this one out, let me think..(later: I went for the Tom Robinson version of Jacques Brel's Les Bourgeois - Yuppie Scum the Brel is close to the top of my last.fm track list - I thought there was Brel elsewhere in the list but it looks as if I was wrong!
- Day 18 – A song that you wish you heard on the radio - Bernstein Chichester Psalms - I didn't know this until nearly into my 40's!
- Day 19 – A song from your favourite album - Francis Poulenc 'C'
- Day 20 – A song that you listen to when you’re angry - Hugo Wolf Abschied - Wolf mocking his critics with a small accident when heading downstairs!
- Day 21 – A song that you listen to when you’re happy - Richter playing Schubert Sonata in A D664
- Day 22 – A song that you listen to when you’re sad - Mahler Das Abschied (fom Das Lied von der Erde) - two Farewells (Abschied) in this list!
- Day 23 – A song that you want to play at your wedding - Carillon Sortie by Henri Mulet
- Day 24 – A song that you want to play at your funeral - All my hope on God is founded (Bridges/Howells)
- Day 25 – A song that makes you laugh - Franz Reizenstein - Concerto Popolare
- Day 26 – A song that you can play on an instrument - Love Walked in - George Gershwin, Percy Grainger
- Day 27 – A song that you wish you could play - the final trio from Strauss Der Rosenkavalier - there's no stipulation that it has to be possible!
- Day 28 – A song that makes you feel guilty - As Tears go by - sung by the older Marianne Faithfull (probably regret is better than guilty here)
- Day 29 – A song from your childhood - Chopin Waltz in A minor (Geza Anda) - I wrote:
-well teenage years - no gramophone at home and I remember hearing this on an exchange trip to Paris (April 68..!) looking over the left bank boulevards as night fell - and music started to mean a lot more.
- Day 30 – Your favourite song at this time last year - Gilels playing Bach/Siloti - I blogged this in August last year
Saturday, August 27, 2011
30 day song challenge
I found this meme here and have been working my way though it over the past month via my facebook statuses. If you're not a friend on facebook I'm afraid you'll have missed them together with an embedded youtube I included of each day's piece- if you want me to gradually repost them here (that'll bring up the posting count!) clamour for it in the comments(!) or send me an email. Added standard gripe about the term song when it doesn't cover music generally!