Monday, May 30, 2011

Desert Island Discs

The BBC is offering you the opportunity to submit your choice of Desert Island Discs. I used to have an informal list and thought it would be easy but I've acquired lots of musical baggage over the years and it's really hard to cut it down to just eight. Alas, Jacques Brel didn't make the final 8...though ask me next month and I guess the list would be different (also there's no [R] Strauss, no Chopin, no Beethoven, no Britten, nothing post 1965 in the following...)
  • Franz Schmidt Symphony No 4
  • Rambling Sid Rumpo (aka Kenneth Williams) Ballad of the Loombogles (or almost any of them!)
  • Franz Schubert Piano Sonata in Bb (D 960)
  • Kurt Weill - Surabaya Johnny (Leyna)
  • Francis Poulenc Tel Jour Telle Nuit
  • Gabriel Fauré Nocturne No 6 in Db
  • Sergei Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 3
  • Gustav Mahler Das Lied von der Erde
Thanks to Entartete Musik for pointing me to listing these choices! Lots of longing and nostalgia in the above though that's almost inevitable.
... oh and as a single choice I guess it would have to be the Schubert.

No comments: