Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bran Loaf


I was on the rota to provide the after church breakfast this morning, as part of it I cooked a bran loaf - from an old Scargill recipe and as I had a few requests for the recipe, here it is.
  • 3 cups All Bran (or equivalent)
  • 3 cups soft brown sugar
  • 4 cups mixed dried fruit
  • 3 cups milk
  • 3 cups self raising flour
(apologies for the non weight quantities!) I used this quantity for this morning but it's industrial quantites, you may want to cut it down a bit - it depends how hungry you are!
Mix all ingredients except the flour in a bowl and leave in the fridge - the recipe says overnight, I usually leave it for 3 hours or so. Then add the flour and mix, you may need a little more liquid for a mixture that isn't too stiff. Put into greased lined tin and cook for 1hr at 180C and then 45mins at 150C - test that it's cooked in the middle before removal. I left mine in the oven for an additional half hour with the heat turned off before it was cooked through.
Slice and eat! I think, at Scargill we spread it with butter but I now think that's a bit too much and usually just have it plain.
One of our cats - now deceased used to love this recipe! Here's a link to another recipe I did a few months back for after service breakfast!
I wrote the above recipe from memory but have just checked the book and it is correct!

4 comments:

Suem said...

Thanks, I shall make this one. Have save the recipe, also the oatmeal cookies one. We are making shortbread today!

rajm said...

Just a moment I'll be round! (things to do though) Hope you enjoy those 2 recipes when you make them

Geri Looker said...

Hi are the oven temperatures the same for gas?

rajm said...

I'd make it slightly cooler - but only slightly - really depends on the over. Does the US (where I think you're from) do temps on gas ovens or gas marks?
Take it out a few times and test it if it's slightly cooler it will just take longer and you avoid the danger of the crust getting hard! Enjoy it - and thanks for the comment!